Subject: Re: More AU Licenses

From: Dion Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 08:29:09 -0700

I asked Mona (our admin) and Davidey about it.
I dont know where they are or what is their system.

Things are fair to middlin'.  SCO is floundering along as usual
and I'm tired of throwing away my life working when there is no
chance to either succeed or fail.  I think I need a new job,
but the commute to Silicon Valley is murderous.  

Must be Spring Fever!  I wanna go camping, take a few days off,
take some photos, work on my truck, dig in the garden, go visit
my friends in SF, etc etc etc.  Growr! ;-)

I hope things are good with you.  I guess it's wintery there now
eh?  Does it get cold in your part of Oz?
-Dion

On Tue, May 18, 1999 at 12:15:14PM +1000, Warren Toomey wrote:
> Hi Dion,
> 	Just got the latest batch of AU licenses, AU-147 to AU-150, but
> I'm missing AU-145 and AU-146. Could you DHL, or fax them perhaps? My
> fax is +61 2 6268 8581.
> 
> Hope things are going well there.
> 
> Ciao,
> 	Warren

---

From: Dion Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 16:30:41 -0700

On Wed, May 19, 1999 at 09:15:18AM +1000, Warren Toomey wrote:
> Going back to SCO floundering, what's the feeling inside there? I was
> wondering how SCO sees itself in the long-term future of Unix. With the
> enormous popularity of Linux, you guys must be feeling the pinch. How's
> SCO going to differentiate itself from the crowd?
> Cheers,
> 	Warren

It's hard for me to give an objective answer.  We have many opinions
here, many being quite different.

The popularity of Linux is not that bad for SCO... remember that
every Windows NT user won over to Linux is also a prospect for
SCO's Unix (for one reason or another).  I can explain the
value of SCO to a Linux user a lot better than to an NT user.

We should be differentiating ourselves on quality and support,
along with some high-end special features.  I think we can 
stay ahead on the technology curve if we want to (i.e., our
executives decide to invest in that).  But I am not sure that
we have the sense to realize that complete, utter quality is
a nonnegotiable requirement for serious users, especially
developers and technical users.

I see lots of contradictory news... but the SCO good news
stories dont seem to get much press play.  Still, we've done
very well in the last two quarters. 
-Dion