Subject: fyi; Simulator 2.2d release with demonstration software

From: Michael Tilson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 1996 11:23:13 -0800

You may be interested to learn that SCO has licensed PDP-11 UNIX binary
distributions for personal non-commercial education purposes, for Fifth,
Sixth, and Seventh Edition versions of UNIX for the PDP-11.  While this is
not source code, it certainly seems of interest to PUPS members.  Hope this
helps.

>>>From: Bob Supnik <[email-masked]>
>>>To: ...
>>>Date: Mon, 2 Dec 1996 19:56:40 -0500
>>>
>>>This notice is being posted today in relevant Usenet conferences. 
>>> Thanks for your help in reaching a major milestone!
>>>
>>>Computer History Simulators V2.2d: Release Notes
>>>
>>>V2.2d is a major release of the simulators for the Computer History 
>>>project.  It includes simulators for:
>>>
>>>	- Data General Nova
>>>	- Digital Equipment Corporation PDP-8
>>>	- Digital Equipment Corporation PDP-11
>>>	- Digital Equipment Corporation 18b PDP's
>>>	  (PDP-4, PDP-7, PDP-9, PDP-15)
>>>	- IBM 1401
>>>
>>>These simulators are freeware.  They are intended for personal or 
>>>educational use and are provided on an as-is basis.  Support is not 
>>>available, and commercial use is prohibited.  See the documentation 
>>>for debug status for each simulator.
>>>
>>>This release also includes demonstration software for the PDP-8, 
>>>PDP-11, and Nova:
>>>
>>>	- RDOS V7.5 for the Nova
>>>	- OS/8 for the PDP-8
>>>	- UNIX V5, V6, and V7 for the PDP-11
>>>	
>>>The demonstration software is provided for personal, non-commercial 
>>>use, under license from its current owners (Data General for RDOS, 
>>>Digital Equipment Corporation for OS/8, and the Santa Cruz Operation 
>>>for UNIX).  Please be sure to read the license agreements before using 
>>>or distributing the demonstration software.  A copy of the appropriate 
>>>license agreement(s) must be included with any copy of the 
>>>demonstration software.  I gratefully acknowledge the generous help 
>>>and support of Data General Corporation, Digital Equipment 
>>>Corporation, and the Santa Cruz Organization in making the 
>>>demonstration software and supporting license agreements available.
>>>
>>>The simulator sources and documentation are contained in a compressed 
>>>tar archive on the public FTP server ftp.digital.com:
>>>
>>>	/pub/DEC/sim/sources/sim_2.2d.tar.Z
>>>
>>>The simulators have been tested under Digital UNIX, VAX VMS, Alpha 
>>>VMS, and Intel Linux.  A port to Windows 95/Windows NT is underway. 
>>> Porting to other little-endian UNIX systems is straightforward, but 
>>>porting to big-endian systems is not: data representations are endian 
>>>dependent.
>>>
>>>The demonstration software and licenses are contained in multiple 
>>>compressed tar archives on the public FTP server ftp.digital.com:
>>>
>>>	/pub/DEC/sim/software/rdosswre.tar.Z	- RDOS
>>>	/pub/DEC/sim/software/os8swre.tar.Z	- OS/8
>>>	/pub/DEC/sim/software/uv5swre.tar.Z	- UNIX V5
>>>	/pub/DEC/sim/software/uv6swre.tar.Z	- UNIX V6
>>>	/pub/DEC/sim/software/uv7swre.tar.Z	- UNIX V7
>>>
>>>(Very) cursory instructions for using the demonstration software are 
>>>included in the simulator documentation.
>>>
>>>The simulator project includes many contributions.  For a more 
>>>detailed description of the simulator itself, and the many people who 
>>>helped with it, please see the (forthcoming) December 96 issue of the 
>>>Digital Technical Journal, which has an article on "Restoring Old 
>>>Computers" by Max Burnet and Bob Supnik.
>>>
>>>YOU can contribute to the computer history project!  The simulator is 
>>>an open-ended framework, and contributions are welcome, such as:
>>>
>>>	- further debuging of the existing simulators
>>>	- additional peripherals for existing simulators
>>>	- new software images for existing simulators
>>>	- new simulators
>>>	- terminal emulation routines for Windows 95/Windows NT
>>>	- ports to other operating environments
>>>
>>>Please send your contributions to [email-masked].
>>>

// Michael Tilson, CIO
// SCO, +1-408-429-4889